CHANGE YOUR MINDSET
Pastor Wole Gbogboade
Text: Numbers 13: 1-20
There is something about the mind that we all need to know and understand. What has been program in the mind will stay unless we do a thorough purging of the old and reprogram the new, we may still be carrying the old mindset without realizing that the new things have faded away and we still retain the old mindset.
Jesus liken this to new wine in old wine skin that is bound to burst the old wine skin. Likewise old wine in new wine skin will not match. Using new clothe to patch old clothe is absurd likewise old clothe will not match new clothe. It will tear the old clothe badly. Matt. 9: 16-17
Experience of Moses with the leaders of the twelve tribes of Israel is an interesting case study of unbelief. God has been promising the children of Israel right before He took them out of Egypt that, He would take them to the promise land, a land flowing with milk and honey. This time around, God asked Moses to choose a leader from every tribe to go and see the promise land of Canaan because, He is giving them. Num. 13: 2. Deut. 1: 22-23
Clear Mandate: v. 16-20
a- see what the land is like b- are the people strong or weak, few or many c- what kind of land do they live in, good or bad d- are the towns walled or fortified e- Is the soil fertile or poor f- Are trees there or not? Then, bring back fruits. Incidentally, it was time of the first fruit.
God made the mandate plain to the leaders so they had no problem with what they were asked to find out. Hab. 2: 2. But, since their mindset was still that of slave mentality, at different times they have asked Moses to let them go back to Egypt. It is the same mentality that made them so fearful as to look in their own eyes grasshoppers and the Canaanites as giants. Their fear and mentality eroded the word of God from their mind and they began to believe what their eyes were seeing instead of what God said to them. Ten out of the twelve leaders came back with evil report despite the fact that the Anakims or Canaanites strong as they were, could not stop them, fight them nor prevent them from entering and going out even with their fruits they carried away! God protected them like He did when He gave them favour to collect gold and silver from the Egyptians who were nursing their wound from circumcision. Num. 13:21-29, 31-33. 14:1-10.
They are the product of their thought. Proverbs 23:7 KJV
Thank God for Joshua and Caleb with the Spirit of faith who changed the whole course of their unbelief by the declaration that God, who had given them would lead them there as the heart of the Canaanites had melt. Therefore, they would possess the land. Num. 13:30; 14:11-30
HOW TO RENEW THE MIND
- The word of God is very vital to renewal of our mind. As we hear, read, memorize and meditate on God’s word, we begin to practice what it says by faith. We must use the word of God to correct all that has been registered in our mind that has formed our behavioural pattern over the years. The word of God is what we use to cleanse our mind of the old nature or the old man fashioned after the pattern of this world that we have imbibed in times past that have formed our personality. 12: 1-2
“Let the teaching of Christ live inside you richly. Use all wisdom to teach and counsel each other. Sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Col. 3:16 ERV
- 4: 20-32. The following will manifest in our lives as we allow the word of God to dwell richly in our heart and practice it.
- Renew your speech v. 20-22. The truth of Christ’s teaching we now know should form the pattern of our speech and thought
- Renew the spirit of our mind. v. 23 to develop the new man after God created in righteousness and holiness. v. 24
- Put away lying and speak the truth v. 25
- Avoid prolong anger that is capable of making you sin. Settle issues before sun set. Don’t give room to the devil. v. 26-27
- Stop stealing and be contented; give to the needy as you engage in good work. v. 28
- Avoid corrupt communication, speak gracious word that edify the others. v. 29
- Don’t grieve the Holy Spirit v. 30
- Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamour and evil speaking with malice be put away from you. v. 31
- Be kind to one another, tender hearted, and forgive one another as Christ forgave you. v. 32
- Grace: We must focus on sound doctrine and let our heart be established by grace. Heb. 13: 9
- Thought: Our thought should be focused on things that are true, right, noble, honest, just, pure, and lovely and of good report with virtue and praise. This will give us peace in our heart. Phil. 4: 7-8
Word of Salvation Publication
PO Box 7572, Ikeja (100001), Lagos. Nigeria
Tel: +234- 8033250375
Feel free to forward this monthly teaching to other Believers. Be a blessing as you are blessed.