WALKING IN THE LIGHT OF THE TRUTH Part 2
Pastor Wole Gbogboade
Text: John 3:19-21 (NIV)
The text vividly explains to us that walking in the light is synonymous to walking in the truth. Of course, we know that the word of God is the truth. The true testimony is Jesus Christ and the word of God. As we see in the first part of this teaching, “Jesus is the Way, and the Truth and the Life.”
“In him there was life, and that life was a light for the people of the world. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not defeated it.” John 1: 4-5 (ERV)
The word of God is true and the truth is Jesus and that is what makes Him to shine in the world of darkness. The truth has capacity to set people free from darkness. Jesus said, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free (as you practice it)” John 8:31-32 (NIV)
Jesus said, “As long as I am in the world, I am the Light of the world.” John 9: 4-5.
He also said to His disciples, “You are the light of the world….Let your light so shine that men may see your good work and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matt. 5:14-16
In John’s epistle, he clearly explains walking in the truth as obedience to God’s command. He stated further that the evidence that we know the Lord is our obedience in keeping His commandment. Anyone who fails to walk in His command is a liar and then truth is not in him and that such person does not know him. Finally, he said, if we abide in Him, we must walk as He walked. 1John 2:3-6 (KJV)
In addition, as said earlier in the first part, The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth who will never lie. If we yield our lives to the Holy Spirit in us, we will have knowledge and understanding of the truth and walk in it.
“But you have an anointing from the Holy One and all of you know the truth.” 1John 2:20 (NIV)
…and we know all things” 1John 2:20 (KJV) is explained thus:
“for this anointing is a teaching one; it makes persons of quick understanding; it enlightens their understandings, refreshes their memories, and strengthens all the powers and faculties of the soul; it leads into the knowledge of all spiritual things, into all the mysteries of grace, and truths of the Gospel, into all things necessary for salvation.” e-sword
CONSEQUENCES OF LIVING A LIE:
- Evil seed beget evil fruit. 2:11; 1John 1:6.
- Reprobate mind. If anyone fails to align with the truth he knows and continue to practice falsehood or disobedience, reprobate mind is inevitable. 1:21-25
- As deception is practice, even the one who deceives becomes deceived also. 3:13.
- Part of the reasons God sent the Israelis into exile was because they love lies that false prophets, teachers and priests taught them to believe. 23:15-22; 50: 6-7.
The case of Ahab is a good example. Ahab was going to battle with Jehoshaphat. The latter listened to so many of Ahab’s false prophets with discernment. Then, he asked Ahab if there was still any prophet of the Lord whom they can inquire from? Ahab answered, there is one Micaiah but I hate him because he never said anything good about me but, always bad. That is, he never told me what “I want to hear.” 1King 22: 7-8. That is to tell us that Ahab himself knew the truth but loved lies because of his ego. So, many lying prophets had surrounded him because he loved lies. They are altogether living a lie. Even, when Micaiah spoke the truth, they including Ahab didn’t believe. v. 15-16, 26-28.
- The old prophet regretted the consequences of lying to the young prophet who brought the word of the Lord to king Jeroboam. He told his sons to bury him beside his bother, the young prophet whenever he died. 1King 13:31-32
WHAT SHALL WE DO?
- Repent: every lie is going against God’s command which says, The scripture says we should not speak falsehood. 20:16. A lie is a lie: Deception, falsehood, exaggeration is a lie. We just need to repent and run away from any appearance of evil.
- When we repent, the Lord will lead us to where we will have the knowledge of the truth. 3:13-15.
- It is the truth we practice that will set us free. John 8:31-32, Psalm 119:30-31.
- God desire truth from our inward part. Psalm 51:6
- We must make the truth our life pattern to develop good conscience before God and man:
“I have not sent you this letter because you have no knowledge of what is true, but because you have knowledge, and because that which is false has nothing in common with that which is true.”
1John 2:21 (BBE)
Paul said, “But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.” 2Cor. 5:2 (KJV)
- Knowledge of the Lord should be our focus both in life and in the Ministry. 9:23-24; 1Tim. 3:14-15.
- Blessings: spirit, soul and body. 3John 3-5.
Truth is the testimony of Christ while falsehood is not of God. To be in the light, we must walk in the truth. Truth enables us to walk in the light and not in darkness. 1John 1:5.
“We cannot do anything that is against the truth but only what promotes the truth.” 2Cor. 13:8 (ERV)
Word of Salvation Publication
PO Box 7572, Ikeja (100001), Lagos. Nigeria. Tel: +234- 8033250375,
Feel free to forward this monthly teaching to other Believers. Be a blessing as you are blessed.