MODELLING CHRIST TO YOUR CHILDREN Part 1
Pastor Wole Gbogboade
Text: Deuteronomy 32:44-47
Moses received the Ten Commandments and ordinances for the Israelis to follow. Since the Commandments came from God through Moses to the people, suffice to say that the Lord God want to lead Israelis by His commands. It’s a thing of joy to be led by God’s word.
Moses then told the Israelis that they should learn to live and walk by God’s Commandments as well as teach their own children to do so as well so that it may be well with them and that they may live long.
“When Moses had finished giving God’s teachings to the people, he said, “Be sure to obey all these commands that I have given you today. Repeat them to your children, so that they may faithfully obey all of God’s teachings. These teachings are not empty words; they are your very life. Obey them and you will live long in that land across the Jordan that you are about to occupy.” Deut. 32:45-47 (GNB)
The word of God has three things to do in the lives of those who follow it and live by the word from the quotes above: 1- It is a lifestyle. 2- It will prolong their life on earth. 3- Possess their possession. In addition, anyone who lives to please God will have the fear of God in his or her life; he will live a healthy life devoid of sin; he/she will have the presence of God in his/her life with His blessings. God will protect such person and give him victory over the enemy.
Keeping God’s commands is to love God. And God responds positively to those who love.
“Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.” Psalm 91:14-16 (KJV)
This is when one is taught by someone who is not just a Believer/Christian but, one who follows the Lord as a disciple of Christ. It is when one is taught to know the Lord; connecting you with God and His word. It is to make one discover and locate his part in the body.
“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” 1Cor. 11:1 (KJV)
This is to make one live Christ life-pattern in word and in character.
How to model Christ to your Children:
- Know the Lord. It is not enough to be born again, we must be converted. By this, we submit to the leadership of the Lord, His word and His Spirit to direct us.
- Teach them to your children: word of God, ways of God and life of God. Surround your children with the word of God. 6:8-9.
- Lead them to Christ. Allow them to know your God for themselves. 54:13. Teach them to build their trust in the Lord.
- Lead them like Christ. Disciple your children by living the word of God for them to follow. 2:21-23. They will learn first by what they see you do before what you teach them. You will confuse them when you say a thing and do the opposite. Acts 1:1. Example, if you tell a child to tell a debtor you are not at home when you are, you are teaching the child to tell lie. Secondly, there are songs that apparently teach the child to be selfish or self-centred like one song we sing during offering; some teach them to curse like Mummy’s birthday. We should focus more on spiritual songs. Col. 3:16-17.
- Prayer: Pray for them, pray with them and pray over them. 4:19
- Love: To show them love, you have to befriend them by making yourself available to them to: ask questions; play with; go out with; sit with; dine with; walk with; lay with etc. 6:7
- Don’t lead them to sin by incidence or co-incidence; consciously or unconsciously. 18:6. Some parents send their child to their man or woman friend. This is not good and you must desist from it. You are teaching the child fornication invariably. Secondly, avoid spotting with your spouse in the presence of the children.
- Correction: As a matter of fact, it is imperative to correct some short comings in your life that you see in any of your children. Some things, we blame or discipline the child for can be easily corrected when we stop it. The child will stop when they don’t see us do it anymore. Even when you discipline a child, show him/her what he has done wrong and show him the right thing to do. Discipline not punishment will show the child proper way to do things.
Word of Salvation Publication
PO Box 7572, Ikeja (100001), Lagos. Nigeria. Tel: +234- 8033250375,
Feel free to forward this monthly teaching to other Believers. Be a blessing as you are blessed.