BIBLICAL GIVING FOR COVENANT BLESSINGS Part 3
Pastor Wole Gbogboade
Text: Proverbs 3:9-10
Apart from the fact that God expects us to give, it should also be noted that we should do it out of honour to the Lord Proverbs 3:9-10; compassion to the needy and the poor. It is by the grace of God that we have enough and to spare. We came with nothing to the earth because God has placed everything we need here before we were born and everything we need in heaven, Jesus has gone to prepare it for us. John 14:1
WHY DO YOU GIVE?
It is important to know the purpose of a thing without which, abuse is inevitable. Giving is grossly abuse in the Church today. That explains why it is important to know why God wants us to give.
- Show: Some people give to show off. Such people are happy to give only when money/materials are announced publicly. They just want to show-off their wealth.
- Tax Deductible: Some find it difficult to give unless it will attract tax rebate for them from the government. This is common in Western nations. Added to this, is the fact that some Ministries have now device a means of giving something in respect of seed-sown. Good as it is, we should not indulge our heart in giving for immediate reward whatever it is.
- Recognition: Some like to give only when they are recognized. Such would love their names on the plaque or on whatever they give in the house of God: on the building, pews or chairs, pulpit, public address system etc for a memorial.
- Pressure: Others will not give unless pressure is mounting on them. Perhaps such have made it easy for some ministers to abuse raising offering by prophesying lies to get such to give. 5:30-31. (GW)
WHY WE MUST GIVE:
God expects us to give freely as people of the kingdom. There are biblical reason why we must give to God and His course on earth:
- Command: Giving is a command from the Lord. Luke 6:38. We have received spiritual gifts freely and we must freely give. 10:8. Our Lord Jesus Christ commanded us to give more. Acts 2o:35
- Love: By giving, we show our love to God who loves us so much He gave His only begotten Son out to die for us to have life. Mark 12:29-31.
- Appreciation: By giving, we express our appreciation to God who has been so gracious to give us life freely, provision, deliverance, victory, blessings etc. Psalm 103: 1-7
- Faith: When we give from our heart generously, we are expressing our trust in God who is able to sustain us and take us from subsistence to abundance. We are demonstrating the fact that there is nothing we have that we have not received.
- Treasure: We are building our treasure secured in heaven through giving.
“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Matt. 6:20-21 (KJV)
- Receiving: Giving like sowing has returns far more than what is sown. A farmer, who probably sowed in multiples of three grains in his farm, reaps thousands of grains at the time of harvest. Whatever we sow into the kingdom comes back in multiples: spirit, soul and body.
HOW TO GIVE IN THE KINGDOM
In the kingdom, our giving to God and others must be with an attitude of gratitude.
- Honour God. Our giving must go with honoring God. It’s not only about giving we have to give to God in honour. 3:9-10.
- 2 Cor. 9:6-8:
- Give bountifully
- Give cheerfully
- Give willingly from the heart. 8:12
- Give freely
- Not out of compulsion or grudgingly
- Not just to give
- Don’t publicize or brag about your offering/giving. Amos 4:5
- 11:1. Cast your bread upon many waters: give to God, His servants, His people who are in need, the poor, Missions etc.
- It is not just what we give that God notice but what we have left after we give. The story of the widow’s 2 coins is a vivid example. Jesus said, she gave out of her poverty and put in everything she has to live on while many rich people in the congregation gave out of their wealth. Mark 12:41-44 (NIV)
- Humility: The Bibles admonish us to give with humility. The rich brethren must not be arrogant neither must we put our hope in any other thing (wealth) except God. By so doing, we shall lay-up treasure for ourselves in heaven. 6:17-19.
- Life of giving: We must live a life of giving. Also, giving is a command of the Lord to all Believers?
“…and remember the words that the Lord Jesus Himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35 (ISV)
Therefore, we must live a life of giving. To answer the description of a Disciple, we must be willing to live a selfless life. The Lord will help us. Amen.
“One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” Prov. 11:24-25 (NIV)
However, it must be emphasized that we are not just to give God our substance, we must first give ourselves to Him; our heart should be right with God in submission. Otherwise, no matter what we give is out of disobedience. May the Lord help us.
“Go on and offer your bread in thanksgiving to God, and brag about the extra offerings you bring! This is the kind of thing you love to do. “I was the one who brought famine to all your cities, yet you did not come back to me.” Amos 4:5-6 (GNB)
BLESSINGS OF GIVING: 2Cor 9:8-14
- God releases grace for good works and righteousness. 8-9.
- Blessings of overwhelming supplies. 10-11
- God releases prosperity so the giver can be more generous. 10-11
- As we give, the people will thank God for us and His work will advance through our generousity. v. 12-13
- People of God will pray for the giver. 14
- The gift of giving is an indescribable gift. 15
- God promised to take away “His army” and restore all we have lost when we are obedient.
“And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.” Joel 2:25
Paul told the Corinthians to see that they also excel in giving as they are doing well in other gifts of the Holy Spirit. 2 Cor. 8:7. The Macedonians first gave themselves to God before they gave their substance for the advancement of the gospel. We must note that the same God who asked His people in Malachi to give their tithes and offering first asked them to come near to Him. Malachi 3:7-10. God loves our giving: offerings and tithes etc to be given in righteousness.
But the devil does not want God’s people to tap into God’s blessings nor enter into divine inheritance hence he try to deceive them into disobedience to God’s principles. Some are made to believe that in this dispensation of grace, you can do whatever you like forgetting that grace works in obedience. Furthermore, grace empowers us to say no to sin in any way it appears. Titus 2:11-13.
“He will act like a refiner and a purifier of silver. He will purify Levi’s sons and refine them like gold and silver. Then they will bring acceptable offerings to the LORD.” Mal. 3:3 (GW)
- Giving is linked to righteousness somehow. It’s not only what we give that comes back. God makes grace abound to the giver to abound in all sufficiency in all things and abound in every good work. 2 Cor. 9: 9-10.
When God’s people give in obedience, covenant blessings are released to them. God’s favour and is released when we abide in covenant principles. As the Israelites gave abundantly for the building of the Tabernacle, the glory cloud descended on the people and God’s presence and blessings was with them.
Gold and silver belong to God.
“All the silver and gold of the world is mine.” Haggai 2:8 (GNB).
Therefore, when we willingly give to God, His work, brethren and the poor what He has freely given to us in gold and silver, talent, gifts and time, we will definitely tap into abundance of His blessings.
Deut. 28:1-14: God declared that when we live our lives in obedience to His word; when we walk in His covenant principles, we will live our lives in prosperity, He will fight our enemies that confront us. Before they ever get to us, they will scatter in seven directions. But, the Lord will bless the work of our hand; we will lend but we will not borrow; nations will call us blessed and we will be on top and not beneath if we walk in obedience to His word. Job 36:11, Isa. 1:18-19.
“How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.” Acts 10:38 (KJV)
Word of Salvation Publication
PO Box 7572, Ikeja, (100001), Lagos. Nigeria. Tel: +234- 8033250375,
Feel free to forward this monthly teaching to other Believers. Be a blessing as you are blessed.